We’re pleased to announce our brand new internship program. Please help us share this posting widely. It’s an excellent opportunity for anyone interested in labor, progressive communications, local politics and digital strategy. (Download flyer here.)
Fall 2013 Internship Open in New York City
Do you support social justice, equality, and other progressive values? Do your friends rely on you for political news and current events? Do you regularly use social media, blogs, and your smartphone to make your voice heard?
Organizing 2.0 is a New York-based organization committed to building power for workers and community organizing groups. We’ve trained over 2000 people in the last three years to harness online tools for organizing â€“ and we want you to join us. [BTW, read what former interns have to say about working with us…]
What’s in it for me?
Our interns will be helping to organize training events, our annual organizing training conference, and using our tools in support of local labor struggles that need us. We’re a lean organization run by volunteers, which means you’ll have plenty of serious responsibilities, if you can handle them. No fetching coffee or photocopying in our office!
The ideal candidate is comfortable with technology, activism and progressive politics. Our ideal candidate wants to make a difference â€“ strengthening labor groups and unions, helping marginalized people organizing from below and progressive political groups fighting for the 99%.
What You Will Learn:
- How to plan and manage professional events from A to Z
- Organizing software and tools including Salsa, Bit.ly, Google Analytics, WordPress, Thunderclap and more
- The makeup of New York’s and America’s progressive movement(s), including labor, community organizing, and
- progressive infrastructure
- The basics of online marketing as applied towards social good
- Nonprofit management skills
What We Require:
- Knowledge of current events and comfort with social media
- A passion for progressive political change
- Highly organized, with an ability to prioritize time-sensitive assignments
- Fearlessness â€“ not afraid to be a bold and outside the box thinker
- Honesty and integrity in fulfilling your commitments
It Would Be Great If You Could:
- Use graphics, video editing and web development software
- Point to previous leadership experience in clubs, student government and community groups
We strongly encourage applicants of diverse backgrounds to apply (PoC, LGBT, Differently Abled, or Undocumented.)
This is a rolling admission â€“ we accept new interns during August and September.
- Minimum commitment is 15 hours/week, preference for 20-40
- 12 week minimum
- Stipends of $500-$1000 a month available (25 hours/week and up)
- Suitable for school credit in a variety of majors
To apply, click here. No phone calls or emails please.
Organizing 2.0 is a collective of communicators and online organizers working for unions and social justice groups. We run events, trainings, consult and promote uncommon interactions within and between our communities. We cross boundaries between labor, progressives, nonprofits, tech firms, faith communities and techies of all stripes. We are located near Union Square in a co-working facility.
Commitment to Intern Rights. We believe that many internships are exploitative and amount to unpaid slave labor imposed on young people interested in interesting and challenging careers. Our commitment is that you will not be performing the job of a paid staff person, this will be primarily a learning experience, and you will be treated at all times with respect.